The internet’s always raging about the next fad food diet.
But what about water?
When 70% of our bodies are made up of water, shouldn’t we be paying attention to the kind of water we drink?
Since there are so many different options out there (ionized, distilled, deionized, filtered, tap…) I figured this is worth investigating.
Different Types of Water
Most likely, you drink either distilled, filtered, or tap water. There are a few differences between the three:
- Most bottled water is distilled water
- Has been boiled into vapor and then recondensed to remove most minerals and solutes
- As close as pure H20 as you can get (this is not good, as you will see)
- Also called spring, purified, or deionized water. They all refer to the same thing!
- Created with water filters for your sink
- Chemical filtration is used to remove most minerals and solutes
- Also very close to pure H20
- Water directly from the sink
- Purity depends on your city’s filtration system
- Can contain contaminants depending on where you live
Why Pure H2O is Bad (and Alkaline is the Way to Go)
Pure water is a powerful solvent, meaning it sucks vital minerals out of your bones and muscles. That’s no good.
This is why most fluids we drink are slightly acidic or slightly alkaline.
But your body naturally wants to keep itself in an alkaline state. That’s why it would benefit you most to drink–you guessed it–alkaline water!
See, when you consume acid-producing food and drink, your body needs to compensate. It neutralizes the acids by depleting minerals from your bones, muscles, and cartilage tissue.
This leads to health issues like:
- Stiff joints (leading to arthritis)
- Lower bone density (your body grabs calcium from your bones to neutralize acids)
- Muscle stiffness and lower back pain (because your muscles release potassium stores)
- Dry, wrinkled skin
- Weakened immune system
But alkaline water reverses this.
AND it’s easy to make drinking it a habit. Your diet always changes, but you never stop drinking water, right? No cooking required.
Alkaline water is the easiest way to look after your health.
In fact, lab tests show that a diet consisting in alkaline water results in:
- 30% higher calcium absorption
- 26% increase in longevity in mice that drink alkaline water instead of purified water
- Increase in growth hormone, leading to improvements in cardiovascular health, memory, and cognition
While research is underway, alkaline water is a promising method to improve overall health.
And if you’ve been reading my content, you know I’m a big proponent of health habits that are easy to implement.
How to Get Ionized Alkaline Water (Cheaper than Bottled Water)
Brands like Essentia produce bottled alkaline water…but they can be expensive.
In fact, a single 32 oz. bottle costs $3.25.
If you’re drinking the recommended 8 cups of water a day, that’s about $200/month per person!
That’s why a water ionizer for your faucet is the cheapest lifelong solution to keep all your water alkaline.
I specifically recommend the Enagic Kangen SD501, the universally sought after standard for ionizers.
While a hefty initial investment, it pays for itself in 4 years when you consider how much you save in the long term:
Yes, there are cheaper water ionizers out there. But you get what you pay for.
Cheaper water ionizers are less powerful, don’t self-clean, and don’t last as long.
I want to get one of the Enagic filters…but I’m going to test before I invest:
I’m going to drink bottled alkaline water for 1-2 weeks. If I notice any effects, I’ll upgrade to the Enagic.
I’ll keep you updated on the results in my next blog!